DC Government moves forward to implement the Kennedy Street Revitalization Plan
As promised, DDOT moves ahead with a design/improvement plan for Kennedy Street, N.W. from Georgia Avenue to North Capitol Street. The construction is scheduled to be completed in the Fall of 2017.
The Kennedy Street, N.W. improvement design will include a full length brick sidewalk, 13,189 square feet of parks (greenspace), 3 bio-retention ponds, 10 new bus shelters, 28 benches, over 280 boxed parking spaces, new trash receptacles, trees, and other amenities.
To further enhance safety and security in this pedestrian-friendly environment, the entire street will be lit by LED street lights.
KENNEDY STREET RECOMMENDATIONS
- More pedestrian friendly
- Storefront connections
- Tree continuity
- Special paving
- Convenient parking
- Bike facilities
- Traffic signals
- Outdoor seating
- Activity areas
- Trees and plantings
- Green area
MAINTENANCE OF TRAFFIC CONCEPT
- Construct "one block at-a-time"
- Parking restrictions
- Maintain pedestrian traffic
- Access maintained to all businesses
- Maintain two-lane traffic in each direction during peak hours
on Missouri Avenue
- Off-peak, daytime construction only on roadway
- Some short-term cross street closures and detours possible